It was a surprise for me being in restaurants in Tokyo and seeing “Hamburger” in a Japanese menu. It is called “Hanbaagu”, written in katakana, because it is a western word: ハンバーグ。Believe it or not, in Japan there are many different recipes of burgers. Unlike in most of the western countries, you eat the burger in a bun or just with a salad. In Japan, you eat with rice, miso soup and some salad. The most well known is with demi-glace sauce and a lot of restaurants serve with a fried egg. This particular recipe I am introducing you is based on a TV program from one of my favorite Japanese actress. The TV Program is called “Egao Uchigohan” (Smile, home cooking).
500g ground lean meat from half pork half beef.
1 tomato (peeled, no pulp, cut in cubes)
½ white onion, chopped
½ cup bread crumbs (panko)
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp milk
salt, pepper, little nutmeg and sweet paprika
mozzarella cheese, cut in cubes
½ cup parmesan cheese mixed with fresh parsley
1. cook the onions and tomatoes, add a little soy sauce, cool it down.
2. in a bowl, mix the meat with egg, bread crumbs, soy sauce, milk, salt, pepper and mix well.
3. when #1 is cold, then add to #2.
4. then make little balls, in the middle add 1 or 2 pieces of mozzarella cheese.
5. when all your burgers are ready, then roll them in the mix of parmesan cheese.
6. in hot oil, cook the burgers one side for about 2 minutes or until brown, then turn around, lower the heat and cover for about 5 to 6 minutes.
|When your onions and tomatoes are cold, add to the mix. Use a plastic bag and mix all with your hand.|
|So now you can start making your burgers…|
|Add 1 or 2 pieces of mozzarella in the middle of the burger.|
|Once your burger is shaped, then…|
|Roll your burger to parmesan and parsley…|
|First side 2 minutes on high heat, turn around, then lower the heat and cook for 5 to 6 minutes covered. This is it ♪|
Preparation time: 20 minutes.
Cooking time: 15 minutes.
Tip: I always start cooking the rice first, then the salad and about 30 minutes before dinner, I start with the burgers. I serve with Tonkatsu sauce and mayonnaise.
Soredewa, Itadakimaasu ♪