If you haven’t tried the authentic Peruvian fried rice Chaufa, you must go to a “Chifa” (Chinese restaurant) and order one. It is a very simple recipe that the only spice, or ingredient, besides all the fresh produce is: Soy Sauce. You would think, then it might taste salty? Not at all. The key is, to blend all the flavors together before adding the soy sauce. Also, each ingredients must be cooked separately and slowly combining them.
In the early 1800, many Chinese immigrants went to Peru for work. Most of them were paid minimum. Then they settled in Peru, most of them at the “Costa” (Coast). Peru has three areas, Costa, Sierra, Selva (Coast, mountain range and jungle).
Chaufa comes from the word Chaufan in Chinese, which means fried rice. (Not certain from which region of China).
Now, this recipe is from my friend and she showed me how Peruvians do the Chaufa. I am very proud to introduce her recipe:
(We made this with chicken, you can do with shrimps, pork meat or others)
1 chicken breast, cut in little cubes.
1/4 piece of red bell pepper, cut in little cubes
1 cup of green onions
soy sauce (will mention quantity below)
1,5 cups of long grain rice
1 garlic chopped
1 tsp of whole ginger, peeled.
1. start cooking the rice: in olive oil, you brown the rice and garlic in olive oil, add double amount of water, so in this case 3 cups of water, once boiled add the ginger. Once the water is boiled, lower heat to low heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until done. Set aside.
2. in olive oil, brown chicken, you will have all this water coming out in the wok, cook in high heat to reduce water, before the water is all reduced, add the bell pepper. Blend the flavors, until the bell peppers flavors are blended with the chicken, then add like about 1 tsp. of soy sauce, then mix again until soy sauce is blended completely into the mix. Set aside.
3. in the same wok, add the green onion, same process, cook until the green onions are soft, until they are blended with some of the oil of the previous mix, then add about 1/2 tsp of soy sauce, same process as the chicken. Set aside.
4. in a different flat pan add little olive oil, add 3 battered eggs, then make them flat, turn around a couple of times, until they are brown from outside. Then cut in little cubes. Set aside.
5. Add mixed chicken with red bell peppers, green onions and the rice, do not add all the rice, take about 3/4. Mix, then add the egg, mix, then add about 1 tsp. of soy sauce. Taste…
Like you see, it is not a difficult recipe, but you need to wash many dishes at the end, but it is all worth it! You need to be well organized and methodical.
Susana @ Delicioso y Divertido