This is based on a recipe of an American product: Arrowhead Mills, Organic Rye Flour, mixed with some of my German recipes. I have tried about 15 times to bake my own bread, some were better than others. In Germany you use fresh yeast and I was not able to locate fresh yeast here in the US, so I always put the active dry yeast in warm water with molasses or honey, depending on what I am baking. Another important thing is, to let the dough rise, at least 2 hours. You can bake after an hour, but the bread tastes better if you let it rest for longer period of time. Also, it is important to code in oil or olive oil so that the dough does not dry out. At the end, once the bread is out of the oven, sprinkle the bread with some water, this will keep the bread moist and you will be able to enjoy your bread for three days. This recipe is healthy, although it has a high content of gluten, it is high in fiber. In Germany, eating daily bread is part of good health and nutrition. In the evenings, instead of fixing a meal, many German families eat :Abendbrot, which means, the bread of the evening. A slice of bread with butter and cheese or ham, or both.
Although this might not taste authentic like in Germany, it is pretty close. Thank you to Arrowhead Mills! and here are the ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1 cup rye flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cocoa
1 1/2 warm water
1/4 cup molasses
1 full tsp yeast
total of 1/4 cup or little more of: sunflower seed, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, little chia and sesame seeds.
1. start mixing the water, molasses and the yeast, let the yeast react for about 5 minutes.
2. mix all other ingredients together, then add #1 in #2.
3. when you have a dough, put olive oil around and cover with saran wrap and let it rest for 2hours.
3. after two hours, knead the dough again, you might need little more water or more flour, the consistency is like a chewing gum.
4. put in a baking sheet, form the bread how you like, make a cut in the middle of the bread, put additional seeds overall, top and bottom.
5. bake at 350F for 40minutes (you need to pre-heat your oven)
6. once is done, sprinkle your bread with some water.
7. wait about 30 minutes and you will be able to enjoy your warm bread.
Susana @ Delicioso y Divertido